Thursday, July 23, 2009

You're not my girl anymore ;-)


I was very sceptical about the day I had to end my relationship with someone I liked and proposed. This meeting somehow never went the way I had imagined it. Infact the feeling that my girl's going to be with someone she likes and adores and someone who can take care of her better than me, was a soother and made me part this girl with a smile. Here's how I recollect my events of the day it actually happened.

It was a morning amidst the most mentally disturbing last few days. On one side, was a girl I've been liking for almost 4 years now, whom I proposed few months back, but who wasn't positive on taking this relationship forward. She is Nithu. On the other side was family pressure on me, on going the arranged marriage way. In case you haven't guessed it yet, Yes I am an average middle class Indian whose family thinks that when a guy turns 29, the next bend on the road is an arranged marriage.

Nithu agreed to meet me at lunch today. I was surprised when she okayed my luncheon idea, but I was more determined to end this mental turmoil, It's either Nithu's way or the highway (yes, the highway here is the arranged marriage way, incase you haven't guessed it already). Morning was time to groom myself, get my hair aligned well, choose the right shirt, a matching round neck T inside, well Ironed dark trousers, shiny shoes. I had to make an impression today, even if it were to be my last rendezvous with her !

Felt like lunch was around the corner from the moment I entered my office at 9 in the morning. Even before I realised, the clock struck 12.30, and it was time I depart to meet my luncheon date today. A solid 10 kms travel from Guindy DLF IT Park to Tidel Park. My 20 minute 10 Km travel was much faster than Nithu's 7 floors elevator descent. Had to wait a few minutes before the girl finally arrived. At Tidel, she's the most professionally pretty girl, to my eyes atleast ! Formally shook hands and guided me to a newly opened "Kabab Joint" restaurant. I chose the best coupé table available.

We exchanged formalities just like old friends do, catching up on work, family, our interests and ambitions. There was a bit of catching up considering this is the first time I'm properly meeting her after my return from New Jersey last December. She was prompt in handing over my "Belated Birthday gift". It was only on 1 occasion in the last 4 years that it wasn't a belated gift.

It was now that I popped up the question, "So tell me Nithu, what's happening on your marriage front?". Nithu replied "hmm, uh, hmm, there is something but I can't tell you right now. Give me sometime, I'll be able to tell you after sometime".

Karthik: (With a heart pumping hard and fast, one would have seen it popping out of his shirt) "Ok take your 2 seconds. Now tell me what's happening on your marraige front?"


Nithu: Well, you know my best friend...

Karthik: Prasad ??


Nithu: (Eyes wide and surprised) You know him?

Karthik: Of course, your best friend for 8 years now, how can I not remember him. You just haven't mentioned his name in the last 2 years. Saw him last at your sister's wedding reception.

Nithu: Yeah, well he proposed me 2 years back. I didn't take it too seriously and wasn't sure if I should end this friendship to start something new with Prasad.


Karthik: (Talking within himself "Dammit! he's much ahead in this queue, he's 2 years and i'm 7 months"). So what have you decided Nithu?

Nithu: Well, his parents spoke to my mom too, and they all seem fine. Things happened much easier and faster. He didn't even tell me the day his parents came home asking for my hand.


Karthik: Well he always swept you off your feet uh !


Nithu: Not actually , but in a way yeah (blushing for the first time)

Karthik: (On a serious note): Nithu, if there was one person who could take care of you the way I wanted to, it is Prasad. I wouldn't have given up on you if it was for someone else. I know how good a guy he is. So here you are, I let you go. By the way, you still havent answered my proposal.


Nithu: Hmmm , uh, hmmmm......

Karthik: It's ok, you don't have to answer it anymore. Thanks for all the memories over the last 4 years, I'll miss you. Oh by the way, I've decided to go ahead the arranged marriage way.

Nithu: (Wide eyed again and laughing loudly) Karthik, I can't believe you're going the arranged marriage way, you're not that material.

Karthik: Well, what to do, my loss is Prasad's gain. I guess i'm not left with much of a choice.


By now our 2 Rotis and Pulao just got over and the clock struck 2:30 pm.

Waiter: Sir, here's your check.


Nithu: Karthik, let me pay this time... please !.


(I've never let Nithu pay a check over the last 4 years !)

Karthik: Hmmmm, go ahead, pay the bill. Well, You're not my girl anymore ! (winks)

No comments: