Monday, July 6, 2009

The five people you meet in heaven


Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven? .....





Hypothetically, if you were asked to name the five people you would like to meet in heaven, would you be able to list them down? i.e. assuming you make it to Heaven. Again, in my world, everyone gets to step into Heaven. So try to answer this simple question and I would appreciate if you explain why you chose the 5 people you named here.
I have tried to list down the names of 5 people I would like to meet in Heaven.

1. My Paternal Grandpa:
My dad and mom are the obvious choices, so I'm not including them. My Paternal Grandpa passed away in his late 40's when my dad was 12 yrs old. My dad has told me a lot about his respect for his father. I would really like to know this old man and how he saw my dad as a child.


2.
My Maternal Grandpa:
He passed away a few months after I was born. Again I wasn't fortunate enough to spend enough time with him. My mom always had moist eyes when she tried to recollect her times with her favourite parent. He was a good "nadeswaram" player. He even fled a number of times to Karnataka everytime he and my grandma fought. I want to see his humility and compassion as always told by my mom.


3.
My Maternal Aunt "Ranganayaki" :
She was second among 6 daughters and my mom was the last. She passed away when my mom was around 10. Considered as a very witty and outgoing lady, she was the tallest among the sisters and the fairest of them all. She was found dead under mysterious circumstances in the kitchen one fine day. She was even pregnant with an 8 month old baby when she left this world. I would like to spend time with this most outgoing aunt of mine !


4. Mahatma Gandhi:
Enough has been said and written about the "Bappu" of India, and I think like every Indian living today, I am unfortunate not to have been born in the era of the Mahatma, but just fortunate enough to live his vision. I would like to take a walk with him, and understand the untold and unheard side of him and the true reason that drove him into his principles. Isn't it a pity that the true messiah of peace has not been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize yet !


5. Jesse Owens:
He was my hero right from when I was 8 years old. After I realised my passion for sprint racing in my school days coupled by the fact that Jesse Owens had died a couple of months before I was born, I thought I was the re-incarnation of the legend himself. Well you can pardon a little boy for his dream. He set high standards for the world athletics and was active during the white-black controversial era. I would just like to take a race with him !


Now it's your turn to write who according to you will be the 5 people you'd like to meet in Heaven. Trust me it's not that easy.


(Inspired by the Novel "Five People You Meet In Heaven" by Mitch Albom)

No comments: